Friday 6 April 2012

Wheels. . . .

I noticed on  Lainey's blog that she is a guest designer for a month at Make My Monday challenge blog. Congrats Lainey! I really liked her card and went to have a look. The challenge is for men and boys and the theme is 'wheels'. One word springs to mind: help!!! I'm not brilliant at coming up with 'male' cards but thought I should have a go as I had to make a card for a good friend of ours.

I don't really have any stamps which are male orientated but I do have an embossing folder which is a 'cog' design. As these are technically wheel shapes with bits missing, I hope I might get away with using the folder! I also have a barbed wire stamp by Andy Skinner which I love but hadn't found a reason to use yet so. . . . . .


The finished card shows an embossed tag with both letters and 'wheels' cut from left over embossed card.


This image shows card which was embossed with the folder, inked with Black Soot and finally randomly embossed with fine gold powder. I've left some white card peeking through because it seems to add depth to the texture. I cut out some of the 'wheels' or 'cogs' and attached them around the edges of the card for extra interest.

Here you can see the stamped image of barbed wire from Andy Skinners 'Gothic' stamp set. I kept the background very white and simple to ensure the texture of the embossed piece stood out.
The letters have been cut using a TH alphabet die from the waste pieces of the embossed card. I coated them with Glossy Accents before drying and attaching to the card. (Sorry the image is a little fuzzy!).

Although the gloss doesn't show up very well here, you can see how the definition made by the embossed card gives an interesting texture to the letters. All the dips and bumps are visible in real life and the gold embossing glistens under the glossy accents. I glued them down following the curve of the barbed wire image.

I was pleased with the finished result and the card was very well received I'm glad to say! It was difficult for me not to use feminine colours, flowers, beads and all the usual paraphernalia I include! I suppose a change is as good as a rest - as they say. I do need to broaden my horizons as far as producing 'male' projects is concerned but they don't come naturally to me I'm afraid!

9 comments:

  1. No wonder you are pleased with the end result! You've made a fantastic job of that.

    Thanks for sharing

    Have a great weekend

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very masculine, think you ought to make a few more, whilst you are in the mood, for any other male birthdays which come along. Well done not using any pink!! LOL - BJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant card which fits our challenge this week, brilliantly, thanks for joining us, at Make My Monday. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is this?! LOVE the metallic embellishing! Thanks for joining us at MMM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card!!! Love that barbed wire stamp... will have to add that to my wish list... love it!!! Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool is that!!! I love the gold embossing, the barb wired and emossbossed tag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ... I love your card, the barbed wire accent/background is fabulous and all that embossing powder is wonderful (I love embossing powder lol:) Great to see you playing along at MMM this week...hope to see you again! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really fab steampunk style here and the barbed wire stamp is amazing.
    Thanks for joining in with our MMM wheels challenge.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful birthday card, perfect for a man. Love your blog and I'm your newest follower now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax