Sunday 8 April 2012

Vellum. . . . . .

The challenge at the over at The Stamp Man is to make a project which incorporates vellum. I haven't used vellum since the days of having a dabble in parchment craft - many years ago!

I often like the effect of vellum but find it quite challenging to work with to any degree of success. When coloured it has a soft, delicate look which is very attractive.

I decided that I would use the required vellum to make flowers for my project. I want to combine the vellum flowers with a strong, vibrant background so that they look softly feminine against it and stand out.

My choice of colour palette is familiar but I've tried to challenge myself by using much darker tones of my usual favourites!

The elements I made to construct my tag. I haven't left anything out this time either! To hear how I made each section, please scroll down.


The finished tag which has only one piece covered in Glossy Accents!

This image clearly shows the TH die cut lace at the bottom which has been inked with Black Soot. The tag background was developed using Distress Inks, a Dylusions stencil, random floral stamping on the left (under the flowers) in both black and coffee to give the illusion of depth and a white opaque pen to add the dots for extra detail. 
Couldn't resist just one tiny element covered in Glossy Accents! The circle re-enforcing the tag hole was inked first using Distress Inks.


This image clearly shows the background stamping and stencil work - I haven't really used stencils in this way before and I enjoyed the process and quite like the end results although more practice is certainly needed!
Here we have a clear view of one of the vellum flowers. After cutting out, each section was inked with Distress Ink, stamped with either a script or random floral image and the edges of the petals were embossed using True White powder - these link with the white detailing on the stencil work. The flowers are attached to the tag using matt, metal brads. Ribbon was added to complete the look using toning shades of both wired and organza ribbon. Finally the edge of the tag was inked with Black Soot.

I am also going to show my tag here:

Just Keep On Creating - Anything Goes (do look here as this is a new challenge blog so why not drop in and join in the fun).

13 comments:

  1. Wow Julia what a lot of work, but boy was it worth the effort, this is stunning.
    Thank you for joining in with my Vellum challenge over at The Stamp Man.
    hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that very much, gorgeous colours, something else to try! And to get all inky..

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!! love it... Fabulous tag the colours are perfect and your stamping is just great love those vellum flowers... I must have a go at them... Beautiful work!! Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous tag Julia, and great work with the stencil. Love the strong colours with the vellum.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of the Easter weekend.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful tag Julia, fabulous stamping and inking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Julia,

    this tag is just lovely. It's nice to see vellum again, I remember back in the day it used to on every crafting project. I love how you have put the white edging on the flowers, makes them really stand out and I also love the way you have coloured in the tag with such lovely striking colours.

    Hope you have had a wonderful Easter and thanks so much for entering your tag at Anything goes, Just keep on creating. I hope you will continue to enter your lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh bother, I tried to comment yesterday and knew something was up as I see now it hasn't registered. I'm not a big vellum fan as it is so difficult to attach and I usually end up using brads too. Would love to grunge your brads with my Timmy hammer! LOL. Love the stenciling, I have recently got into that too and it makes a lovely effect. Knew you couldn't help yourself with the glossy accents but on the reinvorcer is a lovely touch. Love it all. Oh now I remember what I said yesterday - where do you keep all your lovely tags? BJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. That gorgeous tag, i like the stencilling I dont no when I last used vellum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really stunning and just love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful tag Julia! I love the white highlights, & vellum flowers! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really is beautiful! Love those vellum flowers - so feminine and delicate, the script works perfectly on them. M x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tag Julia. The vibrant background really does show off your delicate vellum flowers beautifully. Thank you for joining us at the Stamp Man vellum challenge.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous tag, great colors and texture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax