Hello everyone. Today I'd like to share a piece I made last year but haven't shared as yet. This was my final project during the Andy Skinner 12 week course I attended throughout 2013. We were able to develop our own project using the techniques learnt during the course. (So, the skills are taught but the design is my own). I enjoyed this course so much and made some really lovely friends who were great fun to work with!
Strangely, we all chose the same starting point: an Artemio wooden box which had a clear window and divider inside. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the box before altering it - oops! We all chose the same object to alter but the results were entirely unique and individual.
The box was made using DecoArt products
although this was not the new Media line
of course - that is now becoming more widely available. You will probably find that your local craft shop or favourite online company may still have some of the Traditions line which I used for this project. Many of the new Media line
can be substituted for those used here.
I wanted to use my box as a cupboard rather than a box so decided to add a handle and use the divider provided as a shelf. There are a number of photos in this sequence - just thought I'd warn you!
|A little cabinet that can hold a number of items - you will note the old style DecoArt packaging!|
|The inside of the box showing the weathered wood finish and the 'shelf' which was originally a divider for the box.|
|The top of the cabinet features a little terracotta angel which was altered to adorn the top - another charity shop purchase.|
|The box was taken apart and given a good coat of DecoArt Gesso then dried. The surface was lightly sanded and another coat of gesso applied, followed by another light sand.|
|Stencils and DecoArt modelling paste was used to add details to various areas of the cabinet. Half pearls were applied to complete the look. |
|Die cuts were also used make added decorative details to the cabinet. On this die cut, a stencil and modelling paste were used to add another layer in addition to some stick on half pearls.|
Some old studs from a basket were rescued and put to good use on the door of the cabinet. Another coat of gesso was applied once all the extra details had been put in place.
|The outside of the cabinet was painted with DecoArt Americana paints in a mixture of colours. The inside has been prepared with a true ochre shade. Once dry, a beautiful metallic gold shade of Americana was applied. The ochre shade gives a base for the metallic paint and means that only one coat needs to be applied of the final colour.|
|The Weathered Wood is applied inside the box.|
|Warm white was applied over the top of the dry Weathered Wood medium. This reacts very quickly and you can see this happening on the left side and on the base.|
|The die cut previously shown with a gesso finish has now been painted, crackled and the edges finished with some carefully applied paint.|
|Another die cut used on various faces of the cupboard. |
|The stencilled modelling paste is painted with the main colour followed by a hand applied coat of the metallic acrylic paint. Have you tried the new DecoArt Media metallic paints? They are amazing and full of gorgeous pigment!|
|I used chicken wire instead of the glass supplied as I wanted to create a more rustic look. The wire looked far too new and shiny so I painted it with various shades of Traditions paint then sealed it with the Americana sealant. |
|The inside of the door was finished with some strips of rusted card to cover the edges of the chicken wire.|
|A little altered door knob was added to the outside. I have since added some crackle glaze to this and it looks far more authentic.|
|The saved studs from earlier have now been completed with colour, crackle glaze and some dark acrylic antiquing. Have you seen the new Media line Antiquing Creams from DecoArt? They are so simple to use. You need to check them out!|
|The internal edges of the cupboard were antiqued with some brown paint to give a very shabby look.|
|The terracotta cherub was painted with gesso, followed by a coat of metallic acrylic. When dry, a good layer of Weathered Wood medium was applied and allowed to dry. A final coat of warm white Traditions paint was applied and allowed to react with the medium as it dried.|
|The cherub's crown was originally a candle holder but I thought it added a little style to the piece. This was given a patina finish with various DecoArt paints.|
Some further close ups to show you the wonderful crackle glaze and the antiquing underneath.
I hope you enjoyed having a little look at this project. If you have time, do let me know what you think.
I'm still finding lots to do in the house and the garden so the crafting hasn't quite got back on track yet but please bear with me!
To learn more about how to use the products, Andy Skinner
has produced a series of excellent videos giving step by steps and lots of amazing techniques for you to learn. Click here
to learn more.