Thursday 27 November 2014

Recycle For Christmas At Artist Trading Post Exchange. . . . . . .

Good morning all. Today sees the second challenge at the Artist Trading Post Exchange for November. Our host today is the lovely and talented Yvonne

Yvonne's theme is 'Recycle For Christmas' and as we are getting closer to Christmas, this seems like a great idea! (Some of us haven't even made a card yet so at least this will be a start).

We are asking you to recycle an object, some packaging, a box or anything suitable that can be turned into something you can use for the coming Christmas festivities. For example a piece of leftover packaging could be used to make the base for a wall hanging. An empty box could be given a makeover to hold a gift - the ideas are endless. What you make is your choice but we do ask you to remember that we are a mixed media challenge blog and we'd like to see this reflected in your projects. Please add some stamping somewhere too - real stamps only, no digis please.

If you link up a project with us you have the chance of winning a £10 voucher to spend at the fab Artist Trading Post. . . . . you could also be chosen as one of our top three and be featured on the winners day.

Here's what I made for the Yvonne's Recycle For Christmas challenge:
A selection of Christmas gift tags all made in a grungy, mixed media style. 
Here's what I made my tags from:
Outside and inside packaging has been used to die cut ornament/bauble shapes for the tags. I also used some packaging from an embossing folder but forgot to add it to the photo before I cut into it.
These tags have been folder embossed before being transformed using paints and mediums.
These tags have each been developed using either modelling paste or fibre paste prior to the acrylic paints and other mediums.
These two tags were die cut from packaging acetate then colour and design was applied using a stencil, gelli plate and acrylic paints. I haven't finished these yet as I need to find something suitable to hang them with and a way of writing on the back without scratching the paint off.
The card tags have a second shape glued to the back with stamped greetings and space to personalise each tag.
Tim Holtz stamps and archival ink are used for the stamping.
The base of each tag has been given a rust finish using some of the products shown. The oval label and numbers are painted using the acrylic colours shown. In the following close up shots you will see more clearly where the products have been used. To do a tutorial for each tag would take forever but do email me if you need to know any further details.
The 'rivets' on each side of the label are made using DecoArt's Liquid Glass. When dry this product keeps the raised shape rather than collapsing as other similar products do. 



The two tags shown here were folder embossed then finished with the acrylic colours shown followed by the antiquing cream. Crackle glaze is used on the numbers. More close ups follow to show the details.
The light isn't good at the moment for taking photos and the patina finish looks much more blue than it is in real life. Roll on the good weather!
Each tag has been given some twine as a 'hanger'. I'm not really into sparkly stuff so I stick to my preferred painty, grungy finishes!
I've just discovered this 'fiber paste' which gives a finish like handmade paper. The paste was applied to the die cut and left to dry. The next step was to emboss the shape in a folder, apply black gesso and finish it with the acrylic colours shown. 
I love the texture that the fiber paste creates and I think this looks like a rich piece of fabric. I decided against adding anything else as I liked the texture to be the star of the show.
This tag was given a coat of gesso followed by modelling paste through a stencil. When dry, the tag was coloured with the acrylic misters shown. The raised sections are then dry brushed with DecoArt Media acrylic gold but I forgot to add it before taking the photo! The final step was to coat the tag with Triple Thick Gloss Glaze which gives a beautiful rich finish.
It's not easy to capture the beautiful shine and glistening gold raised areas but I hope you get the idea!
The acrylic misters blend together to create areas of different colour depth. Not all areas have been dry brushed with the gold. 
I've gone for a slightly industrial, steampunk look on this tag. It has been created as described previously using a stencil and modelling paste. The raised areas have been dry brushed with a metallic silver paint. The surface has been left quite matte in finish to give a more masculine feel.
A little Quinacridone Gold fluid acrylic has been used to give a slightly rusty appearance to some areas.
For this tag, modelling paste was again used through a stencil. Acrylic misters added colour. Crackle glaze and antiquing cream finished the look.
The acrylic misters have blended beautifully to make a rich red/purple colour. I like the contrast with the white antiquing cream against the dark background.
A touch of Halloween here but I think it makes an interesting gift tag for Christmas!
The two acetate shapes have been coloured using a gelli plate, stencil and the colours shown. I'm not 100% pleased with them but it is a technique that I will explore further and hopefully and improve on. I think they could have a card piece on the back like my other gift tags or they could be used as part of a Christmas card design perhaps?
The back of each tag has been coated using a brayer and titanium white paint.
I do hope you enjoyed seeing what I did with my packaging. I always keep those 'good' pieces of card etc. which can be easily recycled into many different projects.

You need to pop over and see the projects made by the rest of the team - you're in for a treat! Click HERE to be taken to the blog and click on the DT names to go to their blogs for further details  of how to make each project.

It's your turn now to dig out that saved packaging, box, tube etc and turn it into a wonderful Christmas make for Yvonne's challenge. We're really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I'm also going to enter my ornaments at the Artistic Stamper. Their challenge this month is 'Christmas Is Coming' so I think these will fit in!

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful tags Julia, = once again you have worked your magic with those amazing paints and mediums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic recycling, enjoying seeing your work with the DecoArt products which are amazing aren't they! So many baubles so little time to display them lol. Thank you for the inspiration :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be bookmarking this, so many wonderful ideas Julia! Love the acetate with white paint on the back, the rusty bauble, gorgeous crackle Halloween bauble and I'm off to play with my tub of fiber paste now...fabulous! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely baubles dearie, fabulous effects! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic collection of decorations Julia ! Love all of the different techniques you've used and the effects are stunning ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Julia, I very much enjoyed seeing your gorgeous creations and I marvel at how you take a few paints and create such beautiful little pieces of art! I have just got some new DecoArt paints and mediums and will bookmark this page to use for inspiration - thank you! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning collection of baubles Julia, love how you used all the packaging including the acetate. Fantastic details, textures and techniques.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Julia what an amazing collection of Christmas bauble tags, so many wonderful details and ideas. TFS so much of your creative processes.
    Sorry I haven't been around in ages but life took over particularly with workshops which have been far more time consuming than I thought they would be, but lesson learned lol.
    Hope all is well with you.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning and gorgeous texture on each one and totally love the rusts and blues!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is fabulous Julia!!! I love all the different textures and designs on your Christmas baubles!! Great use of Andy skinner masks too :) Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are gorgeous! What a super recycling job. I can't get over the rich colors and textures. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowzer - glad I caught up with these at the second time of asking! Amazing variety of colours and textures - you technique junkie you! - brilliant use of all the DecoArt goodies - such an inspiring post altogether.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like fun! We shared for all our UK Fans!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax