Thursday 16 October 2014

Halloween At Artist Trading Post Exchange . . . . . . .

Good morning everyone. Time for another challenge at the Artist Trading Post Exchange. Before I share our new challenge, I just have to say how delighted we all were with your amazing entries for the last challenge here at Artist Trading Post Exchange! Don't forget our winner will be announced on Saturday 18th October so remember to check back on the blog to see if it's you! Looking forward to see what you come up with this time too!

Our host this fortnight is the very talented Annie. She asks that you use the theme of HALLOWEEN to make a mixed media project and link it up to play along with us.

The DT choose the winners and don't forget that our main winner will receive a £10 voucher to spend at Artist Trading Post on the goodies of their choice. No reason not to join in is there?!

Please take a moment to check our small number of rules for entering at the Artist Trading Post Exchange - we wouldn't want to lose anyone because they didn't follow the few rules that we have. 

I LOVE making Halloween projects so this one came hot off the press or Gelli Plate actually. Well, to be honest, the gelli plate print was done ages ago and was made into a tag and then put away. I had the odd look at it hoping for inspiration but it never quite fit the ideas I was having, so away it went. Until now that is! I knew that it would work perfectly for a Halloween piece with lots of black and loads of random colours showing through stamped images.

I made a tag because they are amongst one of my most favourite things to do and here it is:

Tag with hanging sentiment all created on a gelli plate background. I'm sorry I don't have an image of the gelli plate tag before I started stamping etc on it! I got carried away with my idea and by then it was too late. The gelli print was achieved by using a variety of DecoArt Americana acrylic paints, stencils and a brayer.
The first step was to stamp the main skull image using a Tim Holtz stamp using black archival ink. Embossing ink was then used to stamp the image again in the same position. This was followed by black soot Distress EP which when heated creates a lovely textured appearance. I love that this image allows all the colours and stencil details of the gelli print to show through.
The two hanging sections are made from mount board with some scraps of gelli print applied. The sentiment, again Tim Holtz, is stamped with black archival ink followed by two coats of  utee to give a wonderful sheen (sorry, it's not visible here). The two sections are attached to a piece of wool braiding that I've had for years.
Smaller skull images are stamped (using black archival ink) in various positions on the tag. As before, the stamp design allows lots of the gelli print to show through.
A third stamp was used on the left hand side which has a very lacy look. I used this to create further depth in the tag and a variety of detail.
The green spots which are seen here were all added to the gelli print using a stencil and brush.
A black pencil is used to shade around certain areas of the tag. This creates depth and allows some areas to recede and others to come to the foreground.
Enjoy your Halloween festivities this year! 
I hope you've enjoyed reading about my Halloween Tag and the products used to create it. Many of these products are to be found at Artist Trading Post so be sure to pop over and see what else they have on offer.

It's your turn now! Need further inspiration? Why not click here to see the pieces of art made by very talented Teamies!

As always, thanks for looking and reading my post.

10 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous tag Julia, the colours are gorgeous.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tag, great colors and I love that gelliplate background!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tag, the colours on the background are super and draw you to the awesome skull image.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Julia!! This tag is funky, psychedelic Halloween awesomeness!! I bet someone could have a serious flashback looking at this tag ;) not that I would know anything about that!! LOL!! It's also very 'Dia de los Muertos' because of the bright colors and the focal image of the skull! I'm telling you, I'd be tripping, if I weren't a good girl :) LOL!! Fabulous inspiration for ATP!! Thanks, Julia!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy artsy Halloween! LOVE all the psychedelic colors!!! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous tag Julia! I love the Gelli print for the background, the colours are beautiful. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so vibrant, think the colours are perfect and work so well with the skull. Love it! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia....this is so fabulous and I wish I could have seen the GP details. Wonderful colours and fab stamped images. TFS and crafty hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A terrific tag, really spooky but also fantastic!!! I love the background and the vibrant colours Julia!! Coco xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Juliax