For my first design team offering at ABAC, I decided to make a book which could be used for journalling, doodling, scrapping or anything else you might want to do!
If you've been here before, you may have noticed that I like to use metal tape on some of my creations so when I saw the article by Sarah Engels-Greers piece in Craft Stamper, it was love at first sight! I used this as inspiration for my project. I did let Sarah know and if you haven't seen her fantastic work before, you can find it here.
It was wonderful to make this A5 sized book because I used up a whole load of packaging card I'd been saving and I got to use my grunge paper for the first time since buying it (I know, I'm probably the last person in the whole of the craft world to use it!!).
I cut a frame from some very stiff cardboard and glued leaf skeletons and die cuts on before covering it all with metal tape - sorry but I forgot to take a photo of the one I used but this frame is almost identical.
On the frame I used for the book, I attached some metal washers in two of the corners because I wanted my flowers to have a base to sit on. You can't see them very well on the final piece but they are there.
After applying the tape, I used an old pen to make marks on the frame between the strips of metal tape - you'll be able to see these in one of the later photos.
So, from a nearly naked frame to this:
The flowers were shaped after colouring and a heart brad - coloured with alcohol ink - was added to form the centre. Just below the flowers you may get a sneaky view of the little washers under the metal tape - if you look hard enough! They are the same brown as the brads and I just think they give a little shadow and depth to the flowers.
A die cut heart was made from the metal tape covered card and this was embossed using a Tim folder. The heart was coloured with the alcohol inks as described earlier and some brown was added to the seams to age the heart. Some jute thread was tied round the heart as a finishing touch.
The main layer under the frame was cut from grunge paper, embossed in a folder and then coloured with distress ink. I love the way it feels and looks like faux suede! Think I may just have been converted to grunge paper!
The pages inside were made from acrylic paint paper with some vintage book pieces glued on for interest. Some gesso was dry brushed randomly over these layers to tone down the print.
Please pop over to ABAC - Anything But A Card - and post a link to one of your creations! It's a fortnightly challenge blog so it gives a little more time to get things done and we'd love to see you there. Winners are chosen by the design team and blog blinkies will be given as a reward.
Thanks for taking the time to look at my work. . . . . . . . .